Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Another look at the garden

This has been a fantastic year for our garden. We contribute it to good dirt and consistent watering (amazing right?). So here are some more pictures so we can brag about how great our garden is.

This tomato plant is my favorite. At the nursery it was called Sweet 100 but the gal who was helping me said she calls them the gardners candy because sometimes they don't even make it in the house. It truly is producing lots of tomatoes so they do make it in the house and then I eat them with everything. This will be planted again next year because if I am ever going to get my kids to eat a fresh tomato it would be like this. 

This was early in the producing time. We got a lot of green beans from our two little rows of plants. Good thing I didn't plant more, no one but me likes them but they are so easy to grow. We did try out fried green beans which Justin said made them more edible. 

Another day of picking. More green beans, lots of small tomatoes, some big tomatoes, several cucumbers, and squash. Oh and some corn (that was mighty tasty) and a few apples (we are still working on the apples, knowing when they are ripe and such). 

Let me tell you about my squash plants. I bought a hungarian squash plant which makes a squash kind of like a pumpkin but bluish in color. I also bought a yellow squash and a zucchinni plant and we planted pumpkins and cucmbers (and later more cucumbers) and we had a volunteer plant growing which we really didn't know what it was. I haven't grown squash in a couple of years because we got squash bugs and they ate my plants. Well we did get squash bugs this year but after my plants were big enough that it really didn't matter. Look at that picture! There is one growing all the way to the opposite end of the box and out of it. They are growing into the tomatoes. They are everywhere. The zucchinni plant is not zucchinni, I don't know what it is but I want to grow it again. And I just figured out what the volunteer plant is: it is a winter squash. Justin's parents gave us a giant winter squash last year and we didn't know what to do with it and it got dinged so it started getting mushy so we threw it out in our garden (maybe it should have gone to the compost bin first). So I have a very hardy winter squash plant (I transplanted it and it still thrived) and really probably shouldn't be picking them yet. I wondered why they were thicker outer layer than the other squash. We also have four pumpkins growing so far. I shredded up 4 of my squashes one day and that gave me 22 cups of shredded squash. I still don't like squash bugs but they can have a go at my plants now.  

Yes, this has been a good garden year. Anyone need some squash or green beans? 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

InnocentBystander said...

The pictures don't do it justice. I half expected the squash and cucumber plants to start saying 'Feed me Seymore'. They invaded the tomatoes, migrated through the corn, fought the green beans, and were going for the neighbor's house next.